If you want to connect your phone to a desktop computer, Android makes things very easy for you . It supports a multitude of protocols and allows the device to be used as an external storage, music controller or digital camera. In this article, we review all the connection methods that you can use to link your computer with Android quickly.
The simplest way to connect a Windows or macOS Android phone is by using a cable. Most of the devices on the market today have a USB-C port that is usually used to charge the terminal. Older devices, on the other hand, include a micro USB connector. Before starting a connection, verify that you have the correct cable.
Once you have connected your mobile with your computer, slide the notification curtain and click on the notification sent by the Android System.
Thanks to it, you will access the connection protocol selector and you will be able to select the method that is necessary in each case.
- File transfer: By selecting this option, your computer will be able to access the file system of your mobile. It is the most used option and it is the one that allows you to quickly transfer photos, music or any other document.
- USB tethering: Choose this protocol if you want your phone to act as a modem. When you connect it this way, your PC will have an Internet connection thanks to your phone’s mobile data connection.
- MIDI: This allows you to turn your device into a musical controller. Use it if you want to play virtual musical instruments. Remember that you will need additional software to do it.
- PTP: This option turns your mobile into a digital camera. Thus, when establishing the connection, your device will identify it as such and allow you to easily import your photos and videos.
- No data transfer: This connection method makes the phone undetectable. In this way, the only thing the computer will do is use its own energy to charge the device.
All these methods do not require the installation of drivers or other tools, neither on the computer nor on the phone. However, some manufacturers make official applications available to users to manage the content of the device. For example, Huawei develops HiSuite, Samsung does the same with SideSync and Xiaomi has Mi PC Suite. The respective official connection applications can help you carry out more concrete actions.
ADB and Fastboot Connections
ABD and Fastboot is a connection method suitable for developers. Thanks to it, you can transfer files, install applications or manage other aspects of the device using the system console. To establish an ADB connection between your computer and your phone, the first thing you should do is activate the developer options. To do this, open the Android settings and go to the About phone section. Then, locate the Build number button and quickly press it several times until the developer options are activated.
- Without leaving the settings, open the System section and click on Developer options.
- Lastly, enable the USB Debugging option.
Now your phone is ready to establish ADB and Fastboot connections. On your computer you will need to do the following:
- Download and install the specific drivers for your phone.
- Descargar e instalar Minimal ADB and Fastboot.
- wireless networks
What if you don’t have a cable? By using some applications, you can wirelessly connect your phone to your computer. For example, you can use AirDroid to access your contacts, send SMS, transfer files, create folders, view the screen of your phone on the computer and interact with it or access the camera.